What causes loose motions?
Loose motions, also known as diarrhea, is a common digestive disorder that causes frequent and watery stools. It is usually caused by an infection or other underlying medical condition. It can be an uncomfortable and embarrassing condition, but thankfully, there are some steps you can take to stop it.
Treatment for stopping loose motions
The first step is to identify the cause of your loose motions. An infection, such as a virus or bacterial infection, is the most common cause. Other causes may include food poisoning, a reaction to certain medications, or an underlying medical condition such as irritable bowel syndrome or Crohn’s disease.
Once you have identified the cause, your doctor can recommend the best treatment. If your loose motions are caused by an infection, your doctor may recommend antibiotics. If the infection is caused by parasites, your doctor may recommend anti-parasitic medications. Make sure to take the medications as prescribed and complete the full course of treatment.
When you do not have access to a doctor, you can take over-the-counter medications. The best over-the-counter medicine for loose motion available is Imodium (Loperamide Hydrochloride). It is an anti-diarrheal medication that helps reduce the frequency of loose stools and can help stop diarrhea. Other over-the-counter medications that can be used to treat loose motion are bismuth subsalicylate (Kaopectate, Pepto-Bismol) and loperamide (Imodium A-D).
You can also try the following home remedies to stop loose motions.
Home remedies to stop loose motions instantly
1. Eat Bananas: Eat a banana to get quick relief from loose motions. Bananas contain pectin, which helps absorb the excess water in the intestines and bind the stool, thereby helping to stop loose motion.
2. Eat Plain Rice: Rice is a great source of starch and it helps bind the stool and stop diarrhea. Boil a cup of rice in two-and-a-half cups of water. Drink the water and eat the rice. Plain rice is easy to digest and helps absorb excess water from the digestive system.
3. Eat Plain Foods: Eating plain, bland foods can help ease loose motions. Recommended foods include bananas, rice, applesauce, and toast.
4. Stay hydrated: It is important to stay hydrated when suffering from loose motions. Drink plenty of water and electrolytes to help replenish lost fluids. Clear broth such as chicken soup is a great way to stay hydrated and can help to stop loose motions.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar: Apple cider vinegar helps stop loose motion due to its antiseptic and antimicrobial properties. Mix one teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in a glass of warm water and drink it twice a day.
6. Consume Cumin: Cumin has antispasmodic properties, which may help relieve the symptoms of loose motion. Make a tea by boiling one teaspoon of cumin seeds in a cup of water. Strain, add a little honey and drink.
7. Sip on chamomile tea: Sipping on chamomile tea can help reduce inflammation in the digestive system and help stop loose motions.
8. Try ginger tea: Ginger tea is known to help relax the gastrointestinal tract, which can help stop loose motions.
9. Take a Probiotic: Probiotics are beneficial bacteria that help promote a healthy gut. Taking a probiotic supplement may help reduce the symptoms of loose motions.
10. Eat Yogurt: Eating yogurt with live cultures can help replenish beneficial bacteria in the gut and reduce the symptoms of loose motions.
11. Avoid Caffeine: Caffeine can worsen the symptoms of loose motions. Avoiding caffeine may help reduce symptoms.
Finally, make sure to practice good hygiene. Wash your hands often and after using the restroom. Clean the bathroom and kitchen regularly to reduce the spread of germs. Dispose of used tissues and diapers properly. Loose motions can be uncomfortable and embarrassing, but with proper treatment and care, you can get relief from this common digestive disorder.